How to download and install 7-zip in Windows 8
Description: This technical article will show how to download and install the 7-zip program in Windows 8.
- In order to download 7-zip, we first need to know whether the Windows 8 installation is a 32-bit or 64-bit version. This can be determined by first pressing the
Windows key + X on the keyboard, and then selecting
System from the list that appears.
- In the System window that appears, make a note of whether the System type is set to 32-bit or 64-bit.
- Next, download the appropriate .msi file (32-bit or 64-bit) from http://www.7-zip.org/download.html. This is a Windows Installer file that will install the program on the computer.
- NOTE: This step assumes Internet Explorer is being used. The link will redirect to a
SourceForge page. A bar should appear at the bottom of the window. Click on
Run in this bar to begin the installation process. The filename for the 32-bit program is
7z920.msi and the filename for the 64-bit program is
- Follow the prompts from the installer, and 7-zip should be installed on the PC and ready to use.
For more assistance contact Technical Support here.
Disclaimer: This information is being provided to you as a service from the Technical Support Department. It is intended to assist you in the resolution of your technical problems or questions. If you feel uncomfortable implementing any of the information or suggestions contained herein then you should contact the Technical Support Department directly. The Technical Support Department will not be held responsible for any loss of information, data or programming as a result of the use of this article.