How to end an Unresponsive Program using Task Manager in Windows 8
Description: Some apps and programs can be very stubborn or maybe one is running and you can't find it? This will show you how to close them and help speed up your computer!
- Let's start from within the new user interface of Windows 8.
- Click on the Desktop app.
- Once at the desktop, right-click on the task bar and then click
- This is the default view the taskbar has in Windows 8:
- The apps will be a little different, but any of the listed apps and programs and be closed by using the
End Task button and your computer will still run without issue. Unlike the old style that ended in Windows 7, if the wrong process was ended there, you might have a system crash. In the new Windows 8, all of the tasks on the default view can be closed without any worry of messing up Windows 8. To end a process click on a process, and click
- Clicking More details will bring a more detailed window up:
- This window shows all the processes and how much system resources each process takes. It is mostly informational but it can help with process management. This window can show what processes and programs are causing a computer to run slow.
- One of the nice things about the new task manager in Windows 8 is the integrated start up tab as well. This used to be in another location in Windows 7 and older. The startup tab allows users to stop certain programs from opening when the computer is turned on, allowing for faster boot times.
For more assistance contact Technical Support here.
Disclaimer: This information is being provided to you as a service from the Technical Support Department. It is intended to assist you in the resolution of your technical problems or questions. If you feel uncomfortable implementing any of the information or suggestions contained herein then you should contact the Technical Support Department directly. The Technical Support Department will not be held responsible for any loss of information, data or programming as a result of the use of this article.