How To Install and Configure the Tenda W311U Wireless Adapter on Mac OS X
Before getting started, please be aware that this software installation requires a restart of your computer. Be sure to save any and all open documents and files before proceeding.
- To begin, open your web browser of choice (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc) and navigate to the Tenda web site at http://www.tenda.cn .
- Click the “Downloads” link, and type “W311U” into the search bar. Click “search”.
- Click the download button for the W311U(MAC) listing and, if prompted, choose a download location.
- Double-click the “W311U_Mac_driver.zip” file, when downloaded.
- Double-click the “W311U_Mac_driver.dmg” file that was extracted from the zip.
- Open a new Finder window.
- Navigate to the “RTUSB_RalinkWithAPI_Installer” disk, as shown.
- Double-click on the folder that matches your version of Mac OS X. Note: 10.3 is OS X Panther, 10.4 is OS X Tiger, 10.5 is OS X Leopard, and 10.6 is OS X Snow Leopard.
- Double click on the .pkg installer file inside that folder. The correct ones are circled in the following screenshot.
Note: From this point of the tutorial forward, the screenshots will be specifically for Mac OS X Snow Leopard, but the installation and use process is nearly identical on all versions of Mac OS X.
- Click “Continue”.
- Click “Install”.
- If prompted, enter your OS X account username and password and click “OK”.
- Click “Continue Installation”.
- The installer will now continue on its own, and may take several minutes to complete.
- When the installation is finished, click “Restart” to complete the installation.
- Once the computer is restarted, go to your Applications folder, and open the “Ralink Wireless Utility” folder.
- Double-click on the “WirelessUtility” application.
- You will see the following screen. At this point, plug in your Tenda W311U Wireless USB adapter.
- Once the adapter is plugged in, the software will automatically scan, and will select an open network for you if one is available. To change networks or connect to a secured network, click its name in the “SSID” column, and click the Connect button.
- If the network is secured, the software will prompt you to input the required password information. Select your security type and input your access key here, then click “OK”.
Note: Once you are connected, you can minimize or hide the program, but do not close it. If you do, you will lose wireless connectivity, and will need to restart the Ralink Wireless Utility. You can tell the software is running because the Ralink utility will be located in your program dock, as shown.
Congratulations, you have successfully installed and set up your Tenda W311U on your Mac OS X system! To uninstall, simply run the appropriate uninstaller file, as seen in the screenshot for part 10 of this tutorial.
Disclaimer: This information is being provided to you as a service from the Technical Support Department. It is intended to assist you in the resolution of your technical problems or questions. If you feel uncomfortable implementing any of the information or suggestions contained herein then you should contact the Technical Support Department directly. The Technical Support Department will not be held responsible for any loss of information, data or programming as a result of the use of this article.